Sunday, January 31, 2010

A new name....

So, four years ago today my name changed. Before January 30, 2006 I was known mostly as Stacie, though a few close friends called me shmo.... but for the most part, I answered only to Stacie.

Then it happened. I became mom. Momma. Mommy. MMMOOOOOOMMMMMMAAAAAAA. Some days I hear that word so much that I think I am going to go crazy. momma. momma. momma.

It is hard to believe that Allison, my oldest is four years old. So much has changed in four years.

A lot of moms I know say it is hard to remember life before kids. Really? I do remember life before Allie. I remember being able to sleep in past 6 am on days I didn't have to work. I remember going to the movies, and not animated movies. I remember sitting at a restaurant for hours visiting and hanging out, with no one else to worry about (ok, so this is not true.. occasionally I would have to worry about Kyle if he was with Scott.... the two of them tend to lose count of beverages... :) I remember scrapbooking, and leaving my craft stuff all over the house. I remember flying on airplanes with only one small carry on, and maybe one checked bag.

Now, lets see.... I answer mostly to Momma. Even Kyle refers to me as mom when talking to the girls. I rarely sleep past 6am (actually, these days 6am feels late thanks to my youngest). I finally saw Avatar last night, but before that... most movies I see are about talking animals or princesses. When I go to a restaurant, there is no leisure time.. it is all about eating and getting the kiddos to eat without them getting so bored they want to race around the place. I rarely scrapbook, as a matter of fact, I have not finished Allie's first year scrapbook (I plan to finish in March). And all you parents know how much we travel with these days....

Do I miss my former life? Nope. Don't get me wrong, we were perfectly happy and content with our lives. Nothing felt like it was missing. We have a ton of memories to treasure...

And now we have even more. Still we are perfectly happy and content with our lives. I would not say I am more happy now with children. I would say I am blessed, since I am perfectly happy with where I was five years ago AND where I am today. Sometimes I am nastalgic for the carefree happy hour visits... but in truth, I don't miss them. And, I have a sitter, so actually do get to go out every so often.

I love watching my girls play. I love the sounds of their laugh ... I wish I could bottle that sound so I could have it for all times. I love watching Kyle play with his girls. I love the way the girls look at us as if we are everything one minute, then totally mean and crazy the next.

My life is not really perfect, but I am perfectly happy... especially with my name. Momma.

1 comment: