Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thankful Thursday 2

So, technically this post is a little late, as it is not really Thursday anymore.. but thanks to blogspot letting me date it when ever I like, you all will never know the difference, right?

This Thankful Thursday I am thankful for my extended family... on both sides... or, on all sides.... :) At our last MOPS meeting (Mothers of Preschoolers, a moms group I am part of) the topic we discussed was family, specifically extended family. We talked about how our relationships with members of our family change as we become parents and they become parents or grandparents/aunts/uncles.

In preparation for this meeting and then during and after, I have thought a lot about family recently. We moved back to Oregon to be closer to family, as we wanted our little one (only one at the time), to know her family... especially grandparents. We are blessed to be "near" many family members (both kyles brothers and his parents are really a drive away.. plus my dad and one of my sisters). I look forward to the kiddos growing up knowing each other and having memories of playing with their cousins.

In terms of my relationships with my family and Kyle's family, they have changed a lot through the years... as a result of many things- time, children, etc. I do think having kids has brought me even closer to my sisters, though i think time has really been the factor there. My outlook on their parenting has certainly changed as I navigated this road... it is harder than it looks, and many times I have had to sheepishly eat my words or thoughts for what I had said or thought before I had kids. I also think I have grown closer to my sister in law since she had a baby.. not sure if it is because we both are moms as much as our schedules more align so chatting on the phone is easier. plus, she is just such an easy person to talk to and be around...

My MIL and FIL are great. They are caring, loving people who will do anything for you. There are times when living closer has challenged me, but I am so very thankful to be a part of this family. they are so such good people, and have raised amazing children who are now inspiring adults. I love Kyle.. I love the man he is, and I know this is because of how his parents raised him. I love that my children adore their grandparents. and they are adored.

as for my parents. you know, time has healed a lot of wounds.... forgiveness is key. but the reality is this, there was a lot of time missed and you cannot get that back. while forgiveness is possible, forgetting is not. and thus, there will always be that missing in my relationship with my parents. I do not carry anger any more, rather choose to look forward. There are moments when I think about what could have been, and I do feel cheated. In the end, though, this is true: i am proud of the person I am ... the life I am living, the family we have built. And I would not change my past, as it has help guide me to where I am now. And I am so very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment