Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Be Pink!!

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Most women know this. Most women have been touched by this disease either directly or indirectly. My great grandmother had breast cancer. She got it when she was pretty old, and had her breast removed... to her it was no big deal. It was late in life, she expected to be ill as an old lady, she had no side effects, no chemo, no cancer. Just no left breast. She used to joke that they were saggy anyway, so it was one less thing for her to worry about.

Then about 5 years ago, one of my best friends from high school called me. She was crying. She told me she had breast cancer, and she thought she was going to have to have surgery immediately to remove her breast as the tumor was growing fast. She called me on a Monday, and thought the surgery was going to be on a Friday. My heart dropped. We were not even 30... she was too young, too beautiful, too sweet for this to be happening to her.

In the end, she did not have the surgery that week.. instead she began a long, windy road to becoming a survivor that began with chemo and along the way included stops at radiation, mastectomy on one breast, then on the other breast, and reconstruction. All along the way, she was a role model of strength and love. She met each struggle with conviction, faith and and unfailing sense that she would survive!! She did. She became cancer free, and has been for a while now.

Her journey with breast cancer did not end there, though, as she began working as a volunteer with others who were diagnosed with this disease. Her journey took to her conferences and mission trips in places like India and Australia!!! A few weeks ago she wrote about her most recent stop on this journey, and a realization that she wanted to do more than survive... she wanted to thrive. In her words...


"After having breast cancer 5 years ago, I thought I knew what it meant to survive and I think I had the right idea: you look the odds against you straight in the eyes and walk forward never giving in. The dictionary says “to endure or live though.” Check- did that and doing it every day... I also thought I knew what it means to thrive: “to grow or develop vigorously; to flourish.” I feel strong, happy and blessed. I feel that I’m continuously working toward being a better person as well as seeking fulfilling experiences by taking the time to truly appreciate all that life has to offer. ...and though I know the definition of thrive; I really felt it in my core being. I am actively participating in the joyful journey to succeed in my survival. The world can throw its curveballs, fast balls, ticking time-bombs…you name it and I can take it! If I don’t feel like I can sometimes, I know there is an amazing wealth of support and energy that I have just discovered and it is infinite and beautiful. When I look at the pictures, I see all the amazing and beautiful eyes that revealed souls of gold and I start to smile and tear-up. The world will never be the same and I’m all the happier for it. Thank you for helping me survive to thrive!"

Shelley has just started a new job in Alaska, working to provide additional support and resources to other women who have breast cancer.. I wish you luck in this new job, and know that many women will be greatly impacted by the work you do!

Thank you Shelley... for being you... for being someone who shows us all how to go beyond surviving.. to thrive!!! I love you.


1 comment:

  1. Now it's your turn to make me cry! I can't tell you how much it means for me to have one of the people I admire the most write about ME in their blog! You are such an amazing friend, sister, role model, and beautiful person- to have opened the door the day before the scheduled surgery and realizing (though I already knew it in my heart) that you dropped what was happening in your life to come be by my side when I needed you....there just are no words for how lucky I am to have you in my life. I love you Stacie and miss you so very much! Thank you for being such and amazing friend and for just letting God use you as He meant you to be!

    ReplyDelete