Monday, September 7, 2009

The biggest loser


Ok, so in January, I did something I never thought I would do. I joined a competition at my gym. It was my gym's version of the Biggest Loser.

I was extremely embarrassed to join this competition, for many reasons. Some people dont get this. But the truth is, when you are overweight, you are not proud of it. simply put. I was not proud of my "needing" to join this competition, nor the fact that I weighted in at a whopping *#! on the first day. See, I still cannot type in the weight. It is truly something that I have been afraid to admit since January. That is why I have not posted about this before. All during my time in the competition, I was thinking about blogging as a way to track my progress, but never started the blog because I knew I would have to fess up. Type in the number.

8 months later I still struggle. 8 months, countless hours at the gym, miles running and a 53 pound weight loss. Yes... 53 pounds. I can hardly believe it. that is what my two children weigh together. Now, I know, on the show.. folks lose a lot more than that. But I dont have 6-8 hours a day to work out. I wanted to lose weight doing something I could and would maintain. Not cutting out anything completely, nor exercise an excessive amount.

My weight loss has been obvious, and I have been bombarded by questions as to how I have done it. After a couple months, I was freely telling most people about my workouts, ensuring healthy eating and portion control and even telling others about the competition as it was a huge motivator and support system. I go to an all women's gym, so there were only women in this competition. But the truth was, I didn't want to compete AGAINST them, rather against my own self. I know me. I am a competitive spirit. So, this BL worked well for me. Each week I had to weigh in, have my weight recorded so that anyone in the gym could see (including any gains, which thankfully I never experienced!!)... I also met some amazing women. All very different than me, but sharing one main goal.... to get back to a healthy lifestyle. Yes, that goal was measured weekly in pounds, but it was beyond that.

So, in the end there were four of us at the final weigh in.. most had dropped off through the months. We formed a strong bond and still meet regularly to keep each other going with support, friendship and motivation. I had lost 53 pounds and 26 % body weight (for those of you wondering what the number was, you can do the math.. I still dont want to type it. Now, not from embarrassment, but because it truly does not matter).

Here are the before, after and our celebration dinner!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment