Monday, August 24, 2009

August

It is August. It means one thing to me. Well, ok, so two things. My birthday is in August. However, even that has overshadowed this one thing. Training/Opening/School. You see, from 1994 til after Allie was born, I worked in Higher Education, primarily Residence Life/Community Living. What does that mean? Too many things to list... but for August it means one thing. Training. More Training and oh, training. Often it means late nights, retreats, leadership, presentations, behind closed doors, ice breakers, name games, countless late nights. I cannot tell you how exhausted I get just remembering the years of trainings. I also cannot tell you how exhilerating it was. New beginnings, exciting students, emerging leaders, fresh start, clean residence halls, excitement, nervousness.... all filled into one month. I loved it. I hated it. All at the same time.

Do I miss it? Yes. Not a bit. Completely. Never. Funny how something can be so many conflicting things. In the years I was involved in residence life I developed a strong sense of self, met many amazing people (still whom I consider my best friends and even a husband), and grew emotionally, physically and intellectually. Res Life helped shape me into the person I am. Well, my experiences in Res Life. Beginning with life in Bartlett and Lathrop, working with the Flodins (love you) and Sheesh. Now, each day, this me is shaped by the wonders and antics of my two daughters. They keep me busy, sometimes into the wee hours of the morning.. just like my students. Actually, I know it was all the years of being on duty/call that trained me so well for the up and down at night lifestyle of a new mother and then of a mother of a three year old who is not a good sleeper. :) I can operate pretty darn good with broken sleep.

Anyway, as many of my friends are still engrossed in this life, I cannot help but think of them all during this time.. especially as it winds down for many and the big opening looms. I am not sure that I will ever go back to this work, but I know it will always be a part of me. Someday I will once again experience residence life, as I am bringing my daughters to their residence hall to begin college. WOW. that is a long time off... but it is there...and I will be filled with admiration and nastalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment