Friday, November 25, 2011

Goodbye Grandma

It is never easy to lose a loved one.  Yesterday, my grandmother passed away.  In many ways, I am rejoicing.  She is with God now, and with my grandpa.  She is no longer in pain, and can run around and enjoy the blessings of heaven and all its glory.

However, still there is sadness.  For me, it is a unique sadness.   You see, my relationship with my grandmother is hard to describe.  She loved me, and I loved her.  That is true.  It is also true that we really did not know each other well.  You see, she lived in Wisconsin, and due to the realities of my youth (too long to go into), I did not see her often.  As a matter of fact, it was not until I was in college that I really spent any time with her and Grandpa.

In college, I got involved in student affairs as an RA then an RD.   Each year, there is a large professional recruitment conference in Osh Kosh Wisconsin.   So, I started attending each year.   It was during these trips that I was able to extend my days so that I could spend time with my grandparents.      Her and grandpa surprised me by showing up to my college graduation when I received my masters degree at OSU.  I was thrilled they were there, and was humbled by how proud they were.   They were hard working, honest, simple, loving people.   My grandmother knew how to take care of her family and loved to do so... One of the ways she showed her love was through letters.  She was great at writing letters.  I remember once during college the shock I had when I checked my email and had an email from my Grandma!!  She was using her neighbors computer, and it made her so nervous, she wrote out the letter by hand first, then went over and typed it word for word.   :)  Another way she showed her love was through cooking.   She loved to have her family at her home and cooked large meals to celebrate.  Her and grandma were also well known for their candy they made every holiday season.    

I am sad that she is gone from this earth.  I am sad that we did not see each other often.  I am sad she never met my children,  (she even shares a birthday with Allison).   And I am thankful she is with God and grandpa and that some day we will meet again.  

Rest in peace, Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment