Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Three S's

During my senior year of high school (yes, a few years ago), I spent most of my time with two very special friends. Sarah, Shelley and I were inseparable.... and I mean inseparable. We seemed to go everywhere together... and quickly became the Three S's. Now, my younger years were not the picture perfect time at home, and I often felt like I did not have a home, and didn't really belong anywhere. These two girls (now women) changed that. With them, I felt like I belonged. We laughed, cried, and dreamed together. They were there for me during a time when I didn't really know who I was... well, none of us really did, did we? These were the years of figuring it out.. of testing waters and seeing if we sink or float. Well, often, when waters were tested, I floated because of their support and love!!!


After our senior year, we all three went our separate ways to college and our adventures; continuing the journey of finding out who we are, what we want out of life, and where our paths will lead us... And it took all three of us in very different places. At first, we reunited as often as possible.. then like many of you, the years and other life commitments took their tole, and we found ourselves seeing each other only once a year or two (sometimes longer and longer).

However, part of God's plan I believe, we have all found ourselves in the Pacific Northwest. We all have become so many things; women, professionals, mothers, aunties, wives.... We have each spent the better part of the past 15 years defining who we are, and I must say: we are amazing.

Even after all these years, I still feel like these ladies can see right through me to my truest core. They bring out the best in me, and make me smile just being with them. I am so blessed in my life now, and I feel blessed to be surrounded in my community by wonderful friends, yet there is something about those who have known you before you knew who you were... those who loved you and grew with you. Those who knew me before, during and now.... While we have spent many years apart, I look forward to the many years ahead... of continuing this special bond and friendship that began so long ago...

I love you, my friends!

1 comment:

  1. Sniffle sniffle :)... you said it so well and so beautifully my amazing friend! I too am amazed at our how our paths have gone in different directions and how we've changed and grown in different ways yet still light up, rekindled with what we found so special in eachother so long ago the moment we see eachother again. I am still so comfortable around the two girls I could lounge around with all day...literally doing nothing but enjoying eachothers energy...well, usually eating was very much involved :). I am so happy I chose to just do that with you two this week. I loved seeing you in your element today, as mother's, wives and just all around beautiful women who contribute to making this world a better place. I felt so content being with you and seeing how content you are. I know we all struggle with various things in this life but I learn so much from you by how you cope and the light that you see the world through that I am truly count my blessings to be apart of such a friendship as ours! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete