Tuesday, February 23, 2010

God's plan

Today is a strange day. A friend of mine from my MOPS group said goodbye to her eldest daughter this morning, and was there as she left her earthly body to join our Father in Heaven. Her daughter was born with cerebral palsy and recently was given a diagnosis that basically told her parents that the end was near. She was very ill for the past couple months, spending more time in the hospital than at home.

My friend, though she was terribly sad at the impending death of her child, she knew that the time was coming and she was overjoyed that her daughter would finally be able to walk and dance, to be without pain and suffering that she endured here on Earth.

Now, I have only known this family for 2 and a half years, and there are many here who have known them longer and better, but I will say this: I admire their strength, their courage and most of all, their faith. They have leaned on God to support them through this entire time, and surely they will need Him now more than ever.

No one's life is perfect, nor do things always turn out how we plan or expect. Amy didn't expect that when she and her husband decided to have a child, that their future would include a child with such severe health problems and limitations. It was not the picture they had in their head, yet as they moved forward, they did so knowing it was part of God's plan.

God's plan. Hmm. While I do believe God has a plan, it is my greatest struggle to sit back and let that lead me. Many moms I know struggle with this. While we know that we should let go, and let God.... we get so wrapped up in the need to control everything, to know what is going to happen and when...

As I spent the day with my children, I tried to keep this family in my thoughts and vowed to remember each day how blessed I am to have 2 very healthy children. I also need to continue to trust in God and His plan....

No comments:

Post a Comment