Thursday, April 14, 2011

Barbie....


As with all girls, Allie and Shannon are becoming interested in Barbie, but I have been doing everything I can to delay this interest. I have been telling Allie for over a year, that she cannot rent a barbie movie, because it is for 5 year olds....well, now that doesn't work anymore.. and in the stores, I keep telling her she doesn't really want a barbie...

then recently we were away for a weekend, and a friend's daughter brought along her barbie princesses (you now, belle, ariel, Cinderella..) And Shannon AND Allie spent many hours playing with them....

So, this week I broke down and bought them one... and then I had a realization that made me a bit sad. I remember hours and hours of fun playing with barbies... I even remember still playing with them in 6th grade. My best girlfriend and I talked about how we still had fun playing with barbies, even if the other 6th graders didnt... so, we did... (though, i don't think we told anyone else...).

Anyway, my dislike for Barbie did not come to be until I was adult responding to all the media and social pressures against barbie for her "perfect" and not so realistic figure.... and all else that she represented. I mean, when I was little, I did not care that she always walked on her toes or what that would really do to her calf... or what her actual bust and waist size was in comparison to her inseam. I mean, I did not care at all. I just dressed her and played... all in good fun.

So, instead of giving my girls those same memories, I have been avoiding it due to outside pressures that do not really exist for Allie and Shannon (at least not yet). So, girls.. enjoy them.. play with them... have tons of fun.... and don't worry, there are more barbies in your near future (Easter basket is just around the corner...)....

No comments:

Post a Comment